PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Salary
Thread: Air Asia Salary
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2008, 03:20
Nightfire

Another thing I would consider: Do you really want to ever work for a company that takes advantage of your situation (as a low-timer) like that?
You need a job urgently, which is normal - it was the same for me a few years ago. I also received a few offers like that one, i.e. to buy some hours on a B737.
For a while, I actually even counted my remaining money and considered it.

CPL/IFR + ATPL-training altogether EUR 45.000, plus the fact that I hadn't worked in a proper job for nearly two years during my ground school. Add to that the cost of a type rating, plus the cost for buying the hours-package, plus the cost for living all this time in Malaysia without any income worth mentioning.

If you add it all up: How long will you ever have to work, just to get your expenses back?
Don't forget: Once you get a "proper" FO's job back home, your net salary, after taxes, is unlikely to be much above 2.300 Euros per month.

It will be YEARS until you are only writing a black zero.

Companies like Air Asia know very well that there are some rich kids with rich parents around, who just want to be pilots no matter how, and they'll happily take your money. Once you've flown your bought hours, you'll never be offered a job by them - they will, instead, just sell your seat to the next guy.

Back in the 1990's, it was the common thing to be given a type rating after you were employed. But since young pilots have agreed to paying for the rating by themselves, this has now become the normal thing.
Salaries for pilots have gone down for years, and as a first officer, you are usually paid peanuts until your upgrading after some years.
The next step will become exactly what guys like andres1981 are about to do, the buying and selling of stick hours on jet aircraft.

By just buying your way all along through your career, all you'll end up with is to have an expensive hobby. Certainly not a job that will ever feed you.

Your situation may be difficult, but not desperate (otherwise you couldn't afford to pay for this scheme anyway). I suggest you just work anywhere else meanwhile, and wait for the situation on the job-market to improve.

Anything else is just pretending to be a pilot, whereas really you are only daddys' little spoilt son.

Last edited by Nightfire; 2nd Nov 2008 at 03:31.