PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Singaporean self-sponsored CPL holders - where are you?
Old 31st Oct 2008, 07:26
phrixus29

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another way of working around this work permit issue would be this,something I have personally done myself and have seen others do too..

It would be to not apply for a work permit after you graduate from your flight training course but to keep extending your student permit instead.
This is what I did for an extra year,though I did not have to use it but I extended my student permit and especially flight students,they can work on campus under a student permit for a year after graduation and this happens in Canada(check this out with the Australian Authorities whether the regulation is similar)..If it is the same,work under a student permit but this would only allow you to work as a full time flight instructor then which is your start in the industry..Tell your school head to type you out a letter indicating that you are still a student,and you are also working part time...

If you really want to make it real,another way would be to do the PPL,then CPL,then do your Flight Instructor's rating...Start instructing on the student permit and with the typed out letter from the school indicating that you are still a student as well as working on campus as a flight instructor does not lie to the authorities.It is real..You would be instructing as well as completing your Multi,IFR ratings..So while you work,you will be completing your course as well..allows you to build your hours along the way as well..

Trying to get a work permit could be risky because these countries would prefer not give you a work permit and when your application is rejected and then you decide to use plan B(extending of the student permit),that's when the authorities will start keeping a close look at your actions because they will start to know that you are trying all means to just stay in their country..I mean,personal advise would be to use the student permit and work..and while you are working,perhaps,send in an application for change of status to Permanent Residency..Because in Canada,when you attain your Flight Instructor's Rating,and then apply for PR status,you get your PR within 6-8 mths..in Australia,we hope its similar..That's an option..