PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dodgy hours-logging advice?
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2008, 16:57
Romeo India Xray

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JARs also make provision for "Student PIC" which can be logged as "PIC" by the student, and is by definition (something like) a flight where the student fulfills all of the obligations and actions that would normally be fulfilled by the PIC of an aircraft but does so under the supervision of an instructor who must also countersign the logbook entry.

This was not something that was in force (neither were JARs) when I trained, so I had no experience of this. I then moved to RIXland and started spending part of my time working in training and examinations - Now I am confronted by students (even pre-solo) who have PIC time .... go figure that one out!!!

Can someone tell me if this SPIC is something that is being used now in the UK?

As for the division of flight time in something that is single crew, it depends. My understanding is that you can legally relinquish control and command to another suitably qualified (this means in currency including 3to/landings) pilot however it is likely that you will have not fulfilled your obligations if you are in a club AC, as the stated AC commander will probably be already signed as such in the tech log - how do you bring the tech log up to date when it is on the ground and you can only have one nominated commander?

I remember something like 20 years ago in the UK, reading an article about the division of flight responsibilities in single pilot AC. This stated that you are within your rights to divide responsibilities (e.g. one of you does the navs and rads), but only provided that person is qualified and current to fly the type and even then, there is no possibility for that 2nd pilot to log the time other than in "any other flight" with no holder's capacity.

RIX