PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Telegraph Campaign For Bomber Command Memorial
Old 28th Oct 2008, 16:25
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
Caz, I think that S'land is referring to the revision of Goebbels's figures for the casualties caused by the bombing of Dresden, so avidly seized on by our own liberal thinkers, which have now been downsized from half a million to some 25,000 by German Historians.
The proposed Regents Park Bomber Command Memorial is, AFAIK, the only one planned for London. The Heritage Foundation, heading up the project, and the Bomber Command Association, are working in partnership to achieve it. During an inevitably long gestation period they release from time to time another publicity initiative. This is the latest one, and lead by MRAF Sir Michael Beetham, BCA's President. A remarkable leader of some remarkable men! The videos attached to the Telegraph page are well worth viewing, and all praise to the Telegraph for their continuing coverage of such a worthy cause.
Off thread re Bomber Command Medals: as you say Caz covered by another thread, but I would point out that there are two medals being confused here, neither of which were ever issued. One is a Bomber Command Medal, called for by Harris for award to ALL members of BC who served in WW2. An absolute non-starter as membership alone of a military formation has never, AFAIK, resulted in the award of a UK medal. The second medal would have been a Bombing Campaign Medal, awarded for a campaign defined by time and place as all UK campaign medals are. No problem then for all those who took part in that campaign, of whichever Command, receiving it. The reason why it was not struck is I suspect the same reason why a National Bomber Command Memorial has yet to be, what is now known as Political Correctness. Hopefully the time for the latter has arrived at last, the former seems far less likely to happen.