PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's it like when the airline industry is booming?
Old 24th Oct 2008, 08:07
potkettleblack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The boom times are a bit mythical, to be honest. In a few years I'm sure the story will be that anyone who got an IR got offered a job, but it is simply not the case.
Never have truer words been spoken. I completed my modular training at a small school in early 2007. Within a month I had interviewed for two airlines and accepted a job on the bus and never looked back since. Type rating and all of the subsequent training was free. When I look back to the other folks that were training around the same time a couple landed Ryanair (paid for ratings) another was accepted into CTC and susequently spent about a year waiting in a pool for Easy. Another paid for a 737 rating and moved abroad for work and is now wondering when they will be able to get home. Another got onto a TP but had contacts so had a job in the bag before starting their training. The rest (the majority) are still wondering where it all went wrong.

Its true that if you were in the right place at the right time with the right attitude and a recommendation then having a type rating from somewhere like GECAT got your CV onto the right desk and you stood a good chance of walking into a job. Those days are long gone. Now its 500 hours on type and climbing.

There will still be jobs going but you will have to be at the top of your game to get them.