PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's it like when the airline industry is booming?
Old 23rd Oct 2008, 22:28
portsharbourflyer
Educated Hillbilly

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well at the end of last year iI was invited to six interviews in the space of about three months. Seemed like the plunge to a season of full time instructing had paid off, I had previoulsy instructed part time for just over a year and a half. So the boom was certainly very apparent to me.

Needless to say I didn't make the right choice when picking my first job, hence I am not flying at the moment. But I did manage to get another interview recently, which although not sucessful it was still nice to get an interview in the current climate. So in essence I have experienced the effects of both the boom and the bust in a very short space of time.

Although I enjoyed instructing, I feel that is was not the best route to have taken. Knowing what I know now, I would have opted for a self funded type rating. All my colleagues who opted for a type rating are now significantly way ahead of me in their careers now and are at least going in to a recession with significant multi crew turbine experience.

However I will agree with the above it is near inpossible to time your training to coincide with the booms or bust, because you can never tell what will happen. As said if you are single with no commitments, able to relocate anywhere then it should be possible to find flying work of some description somewhere.

Last edited by portsharbourflyer; 23rd Oct 2008 at 22:44.