PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's it like when the airline industry is booming?
Old 23rd Oct 2008, 22:14
Artificial Horizon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys, honestly, there is probably no 'good' time to start training for your CPL/IR. If you wait to start until the industry picks up then by the time you complete the training the industry could well be on the way down again!! When I started out it was 1994 and the industry world wide was in the toilet after the first gulf war. I fell for the line that the industry works on a 5-7 year cycle and I would be best to 'train now' for the expected up turn. I didn't risk the huge loans that are available, instead choosing to train part time whilst keeping my full time job, it took me 4 years to gain a CPL/IR but with very little debt, did I miss the upturn? certainly not!! The industry never had this much talked about upturn, I started looking for work but the industry by 1999/2000 was already on the way down again. I managed to get instructing work in late 2000 and was one year in when some bunch of plonkers flew a couple of airliners into some buildings!! Here I am now working for BA with over 6 years in the airlines and hopefully in a position to ride out the current turmoil. My advice, don't put the PPL on hold, train as you can afford to train, don't try to second guess the 'cycles' there will be another Credit Crunch, Security Scare, SAR's just around the corner to ruin the next big upturn. Regardless of this though it is always possible to pick up a bit of work, ride the wave and come out the other side and have a great career, just takes a lot of hard work, a good proportion of luck and determination.