PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's it like when the airline industry is booming?
Old 23rd Oct 2008, 13:23
One9iner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's it like when the airline industry is booming?

I'm at a stage now where I'm weighing up the options, risk, debt, job prospects etc.. in the coming 18/24 months in an attempt to begin training on an integrated course at "the right time" - the $64billion decision.
I'm not wearing tinted glasses and planning to begin training until at least Jan/March 2010 becuase the risk is simply to high.. I have a friend on the CTC wings scheme who was due to finish and be in employment by now but due to recent developments economically, his training schedule has slowed down and he won't be in the pool until possibly March 2009; and then swimming for what could be a long time!

The more I research and read about the airline industry, the more I understand how its a cycle of ups and downs..

My question to the guys and girls who've experienced both ups and downs, just what is the industry like when it's booming?

- Are there airline recruitment people waiting outside the gates of flight schools to mop up newly IR qualified pilots?
- Does it become easier to move companies i.e. once you've reached 2500 hrs on an A319 for EZY do you become very employable for the likes of BA, Virgin etc...?
- Is there more competition between the airlines to raise levels of T&C's and salaries to encourage employees to stay with the company?
- We're seeing holding pools growing by the month at the moment, when the industry is growing how long can you expect to be in a holdpool for if at all?

You get the idea..

All answers appreciated.