PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seniority!!!
Thread: Seniority!!!
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2008, 09:26
Permafrost_ATPL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stingaling and Stansdead,

The debate on the pros and cons of seniority can go on forever, but please do not needlessly insult the professionalism of the thousands of pilots who work for the very successful low cost airlines (which also happen to have an outstanding safety record). "Join a decent airline" and "not be out of place at a 3rd rate outfit in a banana republic" are pretty sad comments and I can't help thinking that they reflect some sort of unresolved insecurity on your part.

As far as the debate itself is concerned, my opinion is that seniority seems like a good idea if all the airlines have it and you bring back the "good old days" of route monopolies (or not far off). The most competitive situation would be to have no seniority at all airlines. Like just about every other industry in the world. We could freely move from one to the other i.e. vote with our feet. I truly believe seniority only gives you the illusion of protecting your career. When mergers and bankruptcies come, it all comes crashing down. Well it used to anyway, since now you can go fly for those "banana republic" outfits which, as far as the nice old gentlemen sitting on my left are concerned, seem to be a very nice and safe place to work.

P