PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Forced landing in sea.
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2008, 07:07
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excellent films which both show the reality of water landings and may make you think the next time heading out over the Sea.

As someone who scuba dives, (years ago a lot now only on exotic holidays Diving gives you a better understanding of that element and makes you more cautious of the reality of the sea close too.

Part of the pre landing drills should be to open the door and wedge a large cushion in there to keep the door open.

Flying along at 2-3000 feet does give a false sense of security. Those harmlless looking white caps turn into 30 foot high brick wall waves on close inspection.

I do not have absolute faith in piston singles and admire the pure guts or stupidity of ferry pilots who trundle them to and from Canada to Europe.
They cross the most violent and cold seas.

Give me a twin anytime statistics or no statistics it is a very calming thing to see two engines purring away when over large areas of sea.

I wonder if there has ever been inflatable air bags developed for singles which cross large areas of water. As theoretically strategically placed they should keep the ship afloat.

The Cirrus carries an emergency shute a kit for emergency air bags should be feasable for water landings.

Pace