PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tricky CPL Air Law question.
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2008, 01:05
RadioSaigon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look, I don't have an opinion on the Law question posted, but...

My understanding of ADIZ is: Air Defence Identification Zone. I don't believe it necessarily has anything to do with the location of any airforce airfields, other than they will be the resource for the assets necessary to confirm any Identification requiring it!
As I understand it, in the case of Australia an ADIZ may be the entire coastline of the island-continent, out to a pre-defined limit which is probably promulgated somewhere in the AIP!

A quick Google search provides:

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
An Air Defense Identication Zone is defined as "the area of airspace over land or water, extending upward from the surface, within which the ready identification, the location, and the control of aircraft are required in the interest of national security."[1] Typically, aircraft entering an ADIZ is required to radio its planned course, destination, and any additional details about its trip through the ADIZ to a higher authority, typically an air traffic controller. ADIZs typically occur along international borders, but can also surround areas of high security, such as the airspace above the American capital of Washington, D.C. ADIZs are commonly used as part of international airspace control arrangements in many countries, including the United States, Australia, and Japan.
which would seem to largely agree with my interpretation of it.