PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Forced landing in sea.
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2008, 22:55
Chuck Ellsworth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No I was not involved in that recovery, but myself and another masochist recovered a DC3 on Summerset Island in 1971 that had landed short of the so called runway...the left gear had collapsed and the left engine was fifty feet ahead of the airplane.

We flew in everything we needed in a Twin Otter and all that was showing of the airplane was the top of the fuselage and the tail sticking above the snow, that was in the first week of October.....the sun set for the winter shortly after we started work and fifty nine days later we flew it out of there to Resolute bay.

Not bad for just to guys.

Anyhow I decided to retire at 70 so I could maybe see how other humans live.

Health wise I am still about sixteen and still able to take the G loads of unlimited aerobatics...but don't want to anymore.

I am happy I retired when I did because I have seen to many pilots hang in and let time decay their skills to the point they started making dumb mistakes.

I have this opinion regarding pilots, 90% of them are pilots, 5% of them are aviators who are born naturals, 3% are also born natural mechanics.

If you find one of the 3%er's, hire him/her even if you don't need them right now.