PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEWCASTLE - 7
Thread: NEWCASTLE - 7
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2008, 13:58
andrewmcharlton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well as regular SLF at Newcastle, usually 4 times a week both short and long haul, a few thoughts.....

Going through to departures at Newcastle airport earlier this year, we were met with instructions to "get in line", "you take your shoes off". I replied, My shoes? A person with a plastic card round his neck said, "Yes, the things on your feet." He made us really welcome.
I agree the staff are occassionally poor at the customer relations side but no more or less so than any other busy airport.

When you go to the departure lounge, you have to have a mortgage for tea and a bacon sandwich. Meanwhile the car park is a total joke. You have five minutes to get in and out, if you miss that, bang goes another mortgage. It seems to be just another way to rip people off.
Whilst it is expensive you don't have to eat there and in reality it's no more or less than say a typical motorway services area. You are a captive customer expect to pay more. Same applies at anything of that ilk where you have limited choice; pop concerts, airshows, motorways, football matches etc, it goes with the territory. Eat before you go if you don't want to pay those prices.

My daughter comes from Dublin six or seven times a year and I used to park the car and go in for a cup of tea and a sandwich while I waited for her, same when I dropped her off. Not now. You are forced to wait in a lay-by until she phones and pick her up as a matter of urgency.
I travel the same route every week. Car parking is extortionate and poor reliability on the barriers and ticket machines. You aren't forced to wait in a lay-by you do it by choice. Incidentally the "stottie" van on the layby on the A697 does a mean bacon sandwich for less than £2 if you are waiting there. People blocking the access roads, turning circles and site entrances are actually making it worse for everyone whilst they dodge paying £1 as they delay the traffic flow around the airport.

Low cost airlines are not low cost anymore. It costs £39 out to Tenerife and £159 back, must be a longer way on the return. On board the planes, it's £2 for a cup of tea made with warm water and the drinks cost more than a nightclub in Newcastle.
I have to disagree. Low cost is exactly that. Try pricing an alternative route to say Tenerife with either a charter (crazy flight only prices for less room than EZY or RYN and even higher charges for food and drink) or perhaps go to LHR and then onwards with BA or Iberia. I suspect it will cost a lot lot more. It's simple supply and demand. Book early, get a bargain. Again, where else are you going to buy a decent cuppa in town for £2. It's the same (or similar prices) at Costa, Starbucks etc. You don't have to buy one remember.

We used to go to Tenerife three times a year, now we have a caravan in Northumberland. There's no hassle, you just go when you want and come back when you want.
I think you're either having a bad day or a distinct lack or perspective. You exercise your choices according to your wishes, preferences and budgets.

I can see airports going out of business especially if they continue to pay their managers £200,000 a year. Tell them to go and ask people their views, they will get a big surprise.
Airports will not go out of business until the personal hoverplane arrives or the green party get elected, either way, no time soon. Paying top executives top money is what happens in every line of business so get used to it. It also has no bearing on the cost of the flights or the price of a brew in the scheme of things.

Comments like above do not give a good image of our airport, what do you think?
I think you are a million miles away from the reality. Every business has positive experiences for customers and negatives. Such a generic swipe at the airport isn't going to achieve anything. If you don't want to pay those prices you're doing well going caravanning. Just watch out for them hiking the prices in high season, charging for electricity, water, extortionate site shop prices etc.....ah no, they are in business too !

Relax and instead of airing it here alone, write to the £200k CEO and tell him what you think, otherwise, how will he know?

Last edited by andrewmcharlton; 21st Oct 2008 at 14:01. Reason: typo