Thread: NEWCASTLE - 7
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2008, 13:44
oldart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Passenger figures down over summer months

From the Newcastle Journal.

Caravan beats the hassle of Tenerife
Going through to departures at Newcastle airport earlier this year, we were met with instructions to "get in line", "you take your shoes off". I replied, My shoes? A person with a plastic card round his neck said, "Yes, the things on your feet." He made us really welcome.
When you go to the departure lounge, you have to have a mortgage for tea and a bacon sandwich. Meanwhile the car park is a total joke. You have five minutes to get in and out, if you miss that, bang goes another mortgage. It seems to be just another way to rip people off.
My daughter comes from Dublin six or seven times a year and I used to park the car and go in for a cup of tea and a sandwich while I waited for her, same when I dropped her off. Not now. You are forced to wait in a lay-by until she phones and pick her up as a matter of urgency.
Low cost airlines are not low cost anymore. It costs £39 out to Tenerife and £159 back, must be a longer way on the return. On board the planes, it's £2 for a cup of tea made with warm water and the drinks cost more than a nightclub in Newcastle.
Do these people think we are a bit stupid? Can't they see if something is good value we will buy it?
We used to go to Tenerife three times a year, now we have a caravan in Northumberland. There's no hassle, you just go when you want and come back when you want.
I can see airports going out of business especially if they continue to pay their managers £200,000 a year. Tell them to go and ask people their views, they will get a big surprise.
Comments like above do not give a good image of our airport, what do you think?