PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crew fatigue
Thread: Crew fatigue
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2008, 13:44
Caudillo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shortfinals, thank you for the link to the article. A couple of things stood out for me on reading over it.

[QUOTE]Dr Paul Jackson, a fatigue scientist from Australia-based Clockwork Research, said that FRMS is not just an addition to an FTL regime, but ideally it should replace it, because a single set of national FTLs can never be appropriate for all types of operation.[QUOTE]

That sounds sensible. Note his use of the word appropriate. I would suggest, although I stress that I don't know, that he is implying that in cases the FTLs may not be restrictive enough, whilst in other cases it's the contrary.

EasyJet's Capt Simon Stewart, who is on the ICAO's FRMS subcommittee and oversees the system at his airline, says FRMS is a system that suits EasyJet because "we are looking for optimisation and efficiency wherever we can find it".[/
Does this suggest that this company drives forward the FRMS regime not because of the any elightened or ostensible safety benefits it will provide but rather because it will allow a freer hand in utilizing crews?

The article explains that FRMS will sit alongside an FTL regulation, in order to better reflect the particulars of the operation of a given airline. This arrangement suggests to me at least, that FRMS will allow the user to modify the FTLs to suit them.

Did anyone use self-certificated mortgages to reduce the amount of money they could borrow from a bank?

Thought not.