PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Forced landing in sea.
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2008, 05:44
SNS3Guppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agreed, Chuck. I'm a little hesitant to go into too much detail on a private pilot forum, especially with topics such as glassy water landings, because unless someone has performed one, it's often an ineffective talk. I can't count the number of times the subject has come up at Wings meetings or safety seminars, or places such as this, on a web board...nearly universally the private pilots who respond answer the same way...they want to stall it into the water and land as slow as possible.

Unless one has seen for himself or herself the lack of depth perception, and has seen a bird crash into the water when even the bird can't judge height, it's really hard to get the point across.

It's part of the reason whenever the subject comes up I always encourage participants to seek a seaplane rating. A seaplane rating still doesn't prepare one for the realities of ditching, but it does give a close up look at water landing, and may give one some idea of the challenges it might impose. That's just one small aspect of a ditching, of course, and there are so many variables to a ditching that one can prepare for that only in generalities.

I usually stress: get down, get out, get clear, float.

I have seen them with around four hundred feet from crest to crest and deep enough in the trough that all you can see is a wall of water in front of you and the sky.
We all have things we have to do just once before we die...this for me isn't one of them. It's something I hope to never see before I die, quite frankly. Hats off to the folks who do, but I'm a land lubber at heart, and have the knees to prove it.

If you're still providing seaplane instruction (didn't you have a twin bee at one point, for multi sea training??--or am I thinking of someone else?--seems from the AOPA boards years ago you were doing twin bee training), it might be a good place for people here to go. I see people posting all the time about going to the US to do float training. I think most here would jump at the chance to go train with you...are you doing that presently?