PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Singaporean self-sponsored CPL holders - where are you?
Old 21st Oct 2008, 02:46
Yantz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A380 - Thanks for you views! I will go down personally to MFA to have a good look at the academy, condition of the aircrafts and hopefully get a word or two from the students there. I had expressed my interest to SFC in June this year before I ORDed. I was given an application form by the HR personnel to fill up and was told that they would KIV my application shall an interview excercise come along which was really nice of them. Initially I was told an interview excercise would be conducted in Aug which I later found out to be postponed to Nov. I called them yesterday only to find out that they have currently 6 flight instructors and would not require any new ab-initio instructors for the time being. Although I feel alittle frustrated, I will move on to plan B, MFA.

From Fly Damnit, I realize that although MFA has old aircraft, ****ty accomodation and food, however the training is decent and affordable. I don't wanna anyhow spend my father's money so I must try to find the most cost-efficient method and I don't think going to AUS, doing a CPL there which costs more and coming back to take more conversion papers would not help me save money.

If I ain't wrong SFC only accepts privately-funded candidates who are 26years old and above. The fee is SGD160K last I heard. Not cheap but you can expect a high standard of SIA-type training.

sgrookie - I have to agree that going to Australia to get a CASA license would be a hill-climb for any Singaporean shall he look for a job afterwards. Since you have been there and done that I can fully convince myself that going to Australia to train is not an option due to the extremely local-biased job market. In Malaysia I it seems the airlines don't accept low-hour foreign pilots however the flying schools entertain foreign flight instructors. So if no Singaporean airline wants me, I will slog it out up north instructing till I have some hours. I understand how easily the world of aviation is easily affected by the global financial state. We are heading into some dark times now and I therefore pray that upon my graduation the dark clouds would be gone.

Oh and one more thing, could we all give peace a chance in this nice thread of ours?