PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maun 2008-2009 season
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2008, 17:24
cupoftea

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a pleasure to read this thread, brings back good memories....

I did in 1997 what everybody told me would be dum and stupid. I gave up a single engine job in europe( yeah single engine, but someone else paid me to fly an airplane and the hours were counting up), bought a one -way ticket to Maun, had about 100 usd in my pocket and came to Maun in the 'worst' period, high season, all jobs filled....

no where to sleep, met a nice kiwi who offered his caravan for a few weeks, met a half dutch/canadian chap who took me on a 'ride' over the okavango, met the wife of the chiefpilot of his company who invited me for dinner(fantastic hospitality of the afrikaners), got drunk at their party, the family of the chiefpilot told him I appeared to be a nice guy and he should give me a job. He answered he allready had a few guys in mind but decided to give me a chance for a test flight next morning 7 am sharp. I decided it was best to leave for a few hours of sleep, but was told it was an insult to leave while the bottle was still half empty.....got to bed around 4, woke up 2 hrs later rather groggy and thought what the heck I give it a try...met the chiefpilot who looked better than I felt, probably more used to tequila then me, flew a couple of circuits and , wonder why still, great landings and was told: hired, start tomorrow morning 7 for training.........

and what a great few years I have had, everyday safari(I stayed a lot in the camps)...it was still real bushflying allthough some strips were getting calcrete layers and being made longer. At the time I left, the real bushflying started to change..longer and longer strips, king air 's flying in etc...maun changed a lot as well in those two years, I am glad I saw some real bushflying and will recommend it to any one. Was I rich? no. Did I lose some valuable 'career' years? Oh yes, but I would not have done it otherwise today! Good luck for anybody trying, if you do not try you cannot fail..