PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Growing Evidence That The Upturn Is Upon Us
Old 15th Oct 2008, 00:49
Desert Budgie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just my few cents!

For most people who have to do things the hard way, living the dream by working hard for years, saving every penny and getting a loan to fly, times are obviously tough. As banks go back to the old days, where loans are negotiated over lengthy meetings with the bank manager and credit ratings are meticulously looked over with a fine tooth comb rather than through a text message or a flyer in the mail, the old flying loans are going to be hard to come by.

Airlines are obviously scaling down their employment. For my own amusement, I had a look through the 'majorish' airlines in the UK and found most application procedures closed until further notice, where you could not apply, even if you wanted to as the website was closed. Again a sign that we are in the toilet of the downturn.

However, if you do have the money, now is the time to start your training. If you qualify for your fATPL during the downturn, once all of the furloughed pilots are hired, you will be top of the list. Don't put off your training if you have the money just because there are no jobs at the present, be ready to be the first to jump on the band wagon when it recovers. I myself was one of those pilots who trained post 9/11. As many wannabe pilots decided to postpone their training, I chose to continue to follow the dream and am now a captain of a small but reputable little airliner and loving every minute of it.

I have a meeting with some A-Level students on the 21st on what it's like to be an airline pilot. One of the first things I am going to tell them is go to university first. Have a back up plan as the industry is so volitile you don't know what it might throw at you. However, if you have the money, get that training under your belt to be the first to take advantage of the opportunities when they arise.

I was flying with a first officer recently who is more than ready to take the reigns in the left seat. I asked him why he had not gone and got his ATPL already. He told me that months back he had been speaking to another captain and he had told him that there were people ahead of him in seniority and there was no rush. So instead of spending his hard earned cash on a valuble ATPL, he spent his money on a big screen TV and a holiday. As lovely as those things are, he is only now going to get his ATPL, and in three months when it arrives in the post, he won't be able to upgrade as due to the downturn in our industry, all the skippers positions will be filled. If he had chosen to do it when he had the money, regardless of his seniority, he would be captain already.

As harsh as it sounds, people thrive on others misfortune. If you have the money, now is the time to buy houses. If you have the money, now is the time to buy shares. If you have the money, now is the time to learn to fly, because we will once again become a wanted commodity, and you want to be top of the list.

Like I said, just my few cents

Cheers

DB