PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FlyBE - 5
Thread: FlyBE - 5
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2008, 20:14
Flightrider

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Having read the latest responses to the thread, I would have to say that I think Anne is verging on the side of being an unreasonable customer. Although you may not be 100% happy with what's happened, there are occasions where any service provider gets things wrong. That goes for Flybe, Pizza Hut, M&S, Travelodge and anyone else besides. It's not a perfect world. The mark of a good company is how it deals with those problems as and when they arise.

There are, unfortunately, occasions where one's customers' expectations are not attainable and under those circumstances, the best course of action for any business is to politely part company with the customer. You can never convince a customer that their expectations are unrealistic, but the world in which we live nowadays - permeated by programmes such as "Airline" - serves to convince a small minority that sufficient stamping of feet and hurling of epithets will produce the desired result. It isn't the case, and on a small number of occasions, one earns far more respect from the vast majority of reasonable customers by dealing with the lunatic fringe in a firm but polite manner.

Although staff appearance is important, I would personally take great exception to any customer who belittles the customer service team on the basis of their appearance. I wouldn't like to have a situation where I had to wear thick glasses, but my approach to anyone concerned would be defined by how they dealt with the problem, not by how they looked or by the strength of their vari-focals. It's on this basis alone that I would be unhappy in lending any support to Anne for the views expressed about the recent issues with Flybe. Any sympathy that I had for the issues encountered and the way in which they handled will immediately evaporate on the back of personal gripes against individuals which add nothing to the overall tenor of the complaint.

Airlines often have much to learn about successfully handling customer complaints; but customers often have much to learn about how to successfully pitch a complaint to the airline handling it.