PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which runway would you prefer?
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2008, 18:05
Married a Canadian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which runway would you prefer?

Had problems deciding on which runway to choose for landing this morning at YYZ. Was working the midnight shift where the operations are constrained by noise abatement...and preferential runway configurations.

The runway layout in YYZ is 05/23, 24R/L-06R/06L and a north south parrallel of 15L/R-33L/33R

Surface wind was varying between calm and 050 at 3-5 knots and sometimes from the north also at about 3-5 knots.

Chose landing runway as 05 as this is the prefered noise runway for arrivals after midnight.
However upper winds strongly out of the west. A 767 on 2 mile final reported a tail wind of about 25-30kts (about 260 at 27kts I think).

Noise abatement aside.......in this scenario would you prefer to take the runway where you have a head wind till short final and then a small tail wind on landing....or tail wind down to short final and then head wind on landing?

I am presuming it would be easier to slow down with the upperwinds being headwind...rather than trying to get the speed back with a tail wind to short final.

Secondly...what is the maximum tailwind component various aircraft types can take on landing? I know afew....but unsure of ones like the CRJ series or the B777?