PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAA and IFR sharing Class G
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2008, 15:04
mostlytossas

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Putting the differences between GA and RAA pilots aside both groups have there cowboys and also it is amazing the amount of RPT pilots that do not know the current rules either. I remember well once departing YWHA VFR for YWGA back in the days of Kendall airlines when this Metro driver berated me for not making a departure call, which is /was not required if VFR. After a frosty exchange over the radio I offered to drop in and see Don when I got home as he would not have liked to know one of his drivers was not up to speed on the current rules. Boy did the wizz kid shutup fast. And no I didn't see Don about him either.
However looking back it was not surprising then as it is today when the regulator under a host of changing names keep changing the rules we all fly under. Not so long ago VFR was encouraged to stay off the radio as much as possible and putting a plan in to enter CTA discouraged in favour of calling up for it unannounced at the boundary. Now in Adelaide they insist on a plan to fly down the coast at 500'. Little wonder anyone who flys for fun gets problems staying current. But then maybe I'm becoming a grumpy old fart!