PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RVSM over Africa
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2008, 05:07
atco749

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sincerely...i get your reason for panicing..but get the facts right..2000feet separation was used due to the errors inherent in altimeters of older aircrafts...with the new generation of aircraft, RVSM started to be used because of the precision of altimeters. With that in mind, what is required in RVSM airspace is for an aircraft to be upto required standards....2 altimeters with a min diff of 75ft....is one of them; in Africa each contracting state has to give a certification for RVSM approval which by the way is from ICAO/FAA....and infact, since most of the airlines using this airspace had previous certification from ICAO and have been flying in Europe and Asia...certification is valid also in africa.....therefore if an acft does not have RVSM approval, we will not allow it to fly in the airspace btwn FL290-410...hence, no cowboys, bushflyers, old antonovs....
About radar coverage, i agree it is lacking in many states but you should understand that it is not A MUST....procedural separation will suffice. There are procedures to be followed in case of turbulance, mountain waves etc and i'd urge all pilots flying over Africa to be aware of them. check ICAO | ESAF Office

ATC watcher.....i can assure you, its not about national or continental pride, we have signed the letters of agreement, ticked all the boxes, and ready to provide the ATC ......and sincerely, we aint doing it "to be like Europe"...from my desk i can tell you i had more headache with pilots competing for 310.350... ....compared to then.....separation is easier......just keep your altimeters in good condition