PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hercs - NVG ops?
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2008, 09:40
botero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To clarify a few points raised here.

Yes, the RAAF do not operate to 'civil rules'. That does not mean they are a bunch of care-free cowboys making it up as they go along!

Under all normal circumstances they follow rules and procedures that are identical in application and appearance to civil operations (most notably IFR operations).

There are however a few mission profiles that are conducted upon which there are no civil precedents that resemble the rules the RAAF apply. Examples include night formation airdrop, NVG operations, bombing and air interception.

Each of these mission profiles will have a designated set of rules and procedures that are established and followed at higher command level, squadron level and mission level.
An example of such a difference is that RAAF aircraft will operate at lower than civil published LSALTs on 'Military Terrain Clearance'.
Please don't think for a minute that safety is not a considered factor.

The RAN and the ARA will have a very similar structure to the RAAF with respect to operating IAW civil rules and mission profile rules.

As for the Roulettes I'm afraid I'm out of my league here on this one - but the thread was about Herc NVG ops was it not