PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAA and IFR sharing Class G
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2008, 05:27
Horatio Leafblower

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts
Xinhua

That's like arguing P-platers aren't a problem on the roads.

In my time as a RAAus CFI I found that talking to the lunatic fringe was akin to talking to a 17-year-old, too - excuses, blame shifting, anti-authority paranoia, plain disregard. (My apologies to the 17-year-olds I am slurring).

The lunatic fringe in RAAus is larger precisely because of the "freedoms" offered by the RAAus. The VH system weeds them out through more rigorous standards, starting with security screening (drug offences, violence offences) through medical screening (superficial psych assessment and now, drug testing) to the requirement to pass a government-administered examination.

I applied the same standards and syllabus to both VH and RAA studes. I did not judge or pidgeon-hole my clients but treated them all the same. The lunatic fringe either went elsewhere or, ultimately, revolted. Now the lunatics are running the asylum.

There are a lot of fantastic people and very dilligent pilots in the RAAus system, but the wierdos can't be controlled by anyone except Charles Darwin.

...and no, I won't be sharing my submissions to the RAAus board on this forum.