PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hercs - NVG ops?
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2008, 04:02
Trojan1981

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We used to conduct airdrop sorties below LSALT at night when I was flying with them. On NVG and with the load marked with IR cyalume sticks. The DZ would also usually be marked with IR Stobes.
This was even conducted around the Sydney area (usually Londonderry DZ), around Nowra/JB and in the Blue Mountains. Most sorties would involve some kind of tactical flying but as I was at the blunt end of the Herc rather than the sharp end I am not sure of minimum altitudes for this.
The Drops were conducted down to about 700ft AGL depending on the type of equipment going out the back, with the pilots maintaining visual clearance. Often all lights would be off for this type of flying.

We did it with 'Bous too. Flying in and out of unlit dirt strips on NVG.

Safe? probably not, but neither is war. I do remember sitting in the cockpit during one tac flight when we popped over a ridge and there, straight in front of us was a JetRanger at our level and a few seconds flying time ahead!

Now I am starting to miss it.....

Look at all the overseas crashes involving military aircraft into the crowd - this is no different.
I agree, no one wants an incident like Rammstein. The display does look cool though!