PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Redundancy Law
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2008, 01:07
Mister Geezer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UK Redundancy Law

Hi Folks

I am currently drawing up a contingency plan in case I find myself 'surplus to requirements' early next year with my present airline. My current outfit will undergo a major period of restructuring in Feb 09 and there is a possibility that we will be over crewed as a result of the new shape that the company will take. In fact, the situation is very fluid and it could range from us being under crewed right to the other end of the spectrum, with possible redundancies being made.

My knowledge on this topic is vague so any rough answers to these questions would be appreciated since it will help me focus on what areas I may wish to get legal advice on and investigate further.

We operate 2 fleets and I am placed towards the end of the seniority ladder for Captains on the fleet that I am on. However when combining the crews from both fleets, then I am more comfortably placed. If one fleet is more over crewed than another, then can crews from the over crewed fleet be made redundant in preference to the crew from another fleet, or is the 'Last In First Out' principle applied to everyone, regardless of what they fly?

Finally, I am a Line Trainer so would that give me any extra security? I suspect that it won't but if anyone has any finer details regarding this then I would be much obliged!

Thanks for your time....