PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Income protection insurance for ag pilots?
Old 8th Oct 2008, 17:16
SNS3Guppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When you have some real experience and have something to contribute to the thread, by all means give it a shot.

Yes, I fly a 747. I have been a long time ag pilot, having started doing that work as a teenager, until today. And yes, I flew the Piaggio...and about 45 other types, as well. The ag work I've done has ranged from cubs to the more modern Air Tractor AT-802, to several large four engine airplanes, both piston and turbine, and has included row crops, wildland fire suppression, mosquito abatement, rangeland protection, and other types of agricultural flying.

Ag work isn't a guarantee type of work. One never knows how much flying one will get in any season, and can never plan for or expect a given income. One may have a very good season, or a very poor season. Accordingly, one should not reasonably expect that an employer or a company will insure or attempt to guarantee what is unpredictable and inconsistent. A run of Russian Wheat Aphid may produce considerable unforecast spraying, whereas a drought or poor crop may mean little work, and many unpaid jobs.