PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Selling up to continue to fund my PPL!
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2008, 12:49
Flingingwings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been discussed lots before I'm afraid CT. Was it perchance a flying school that told you of this shortage

Most regularly used mantra is from Camp Freddie. A search will bring up the past threads, but in essence..........

Basic CPL - worthless
CPL + FI - High cost, medium risk, low returns
CPL + MEIR - High cost, high risk, better returns

There will always be a steady supply of FI's because the hours are long, the pay is generally poor and the working conditions (depending on your employer) can be rubbish. So for some schools FI turnover is fairly regular

In the current economic climate the future of FI'ing I would suggest is rocky, and you'll be competing with established working FI's, as well as other newly qualified FI's with more or less hours.

FWIW - FI'ing is great fun, but IMHO is a career with little to no path Most FI's use teaching purely as a stepping stone to gain flying hours in the hope of securing an alternative role. Sadly flying hours and 'relevant/required experience' are two completely different things There are very few rotary long term career instructors (ie individuals that have basically only ever taught - aside from a few odd charters), and in more than one case they are examples of the old mantra:
'Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach'

This is in no way a 'dig' at FI's. The majority work very hard (across the full spectrum from newly qualified up to the highly experienced who return to teaching after a lengthy spell flying in a different role), but on the whole the newly qualified aspire to other roles (either from the outset or after about 18months when the rose tint fades from the glasses).

Thats how it was for me. Rose tinted dreams of using a basic CPL, that were strengthened by the school I did my CPL with. Immediately post course the same CFI informed me a basic CPL was useless, but that with a great shortage of FI's an FI rating would be my best option. Spookily that same CFI could offer me a course and maybe even some work. I had no choice and having coughed up for the course was lucky enough ( or with hindsight unlucky enough) to work for the same CFI. I thoroughly enjoyed the teaching but not the working environment/conditions. I lasted 14 months before biting the bullet and coughing up for a ME IR, that with hindsight is the path I should have followed from the outset!

I can't think of any Southern UK schools that are looking for extra FI's at the moment. The Summer season of charters is rapidly ending and winter weather will soon be fully with us

Many FI's relocate, or try to work where they've qualified. I wish you the best of luck whatever route you find yourself taking.

FW