PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 15 year allowed to fly, Turkish pilot fired
Old 5th Oct 2008, 17:38
tuskegee airman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did I Miss Out

Am I in the minority here as a professional Airline Pilot who did not enjoy a great cockpit visit as a youngster? I spent many a day wandering around/sitting in parked S/E Cessnas at a local flying school but never enjoyed my first flight til age 20. Tried to visit the F/D then but was politely informed by one of the CC that the Capt was not able to accomodate us at that time (if he/she ever got the request). I wondered if it was because we were four males in our early twenties who were obviously not of the same family. (We were on our way to attend a training course). That disappointment did not dim my desire to become a pilot.

youcangetholdofjules quote...

"I find it hard to believe that the coolest experience in some kids life turns out to be the worst experience in some experienced pilots life... its a bit bloody silly. "

The "coolest experience" in the life of that lad aboard Aeroflot resulted in the worst experience in the lives of all aboard! I wonder if the loved ones left behind thinks it was worth it. I accept that there were differences on that Aeroflot FD, it is the similarities that I have issues with. There has to be a standard and if it takes another "rule" to ensure we all act responsibly then so be it.

My first flight mentioned above was in the back of a 747 to LHR. The next time I landed at LHR (23 yrs later) was in the RH seat of a wide-body jet. My point? A refused FD visit will not put off someone with the love and desire to become an aviator, especially if the refusal includes an invitation to visit while at the gate.

An emergency willl not automatically result every time a visitor sits at the controls of an airliner in flight or a kid is told to flick some light switch or other. However; since things can go horribly wrong without warning, why add another variable/distraction?