PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Forced unpaid leave at ryanair
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2008, 21:52
CaptKremin

The intent of the legislation was that such a finding would be legally enforceable. Ryanair appealed this finding to the High Court but the union won again. Ryanair then appealed the High Court finding to the Supreme Court and the result of that was that the Supreme Court found that the Legislation did not comply with the constitution in that in infringed the rights of employers.
Good potted history Tooloose, I hope it has enlightened a few benighted brows here.

Meanwhile, after a short absence, I decided to log on again to bring you lot the next bit of news coming down the wires about this faulty 2004 legislation (the bit Ryanair exploited).

More history required for the uninitiated.....

This summer the Irish people were the only europeans given the opportunity to vote on the Lisbon Treaty. Much to the chagrin of our ruling party, and their friends in europe, the Irish people rejected the treaty, thus stalling the european Super-State project.
It is widely rumoured that the mandarins of the EU are leaning heavily on the Irish government to re-run the vote as soon as possible (...or else!).

This afternoon, the leader of SIPTU (the largest Union in Ireland) warned the government that they would actively campaign AGAINST a "Lisbon Treaty Mark2" if the forthcoming legislation on Collective Bargaining is not solid and effective. Last time round SIPTU made no recommendation either way to its membership. A NO campaign will guarentee a second defeat. Such a scenario would almost certainly result in the fall of the government.

So, lads, just let this play out. We'll see who's right.
As I forecast before - O'Bleary will get his comeuppance this time, because when the chips are down for the ruling party - they'll sell him down the river before letting power slip from their fingers. They hate the b'stard more than I do. He's a thorn in every politicians side, which makes him a liability in this scenario. I'd lay odds now he'll be gone by next summer.

Bye Bye Micko!!

PS Keep an ear open for the 'softening up' language from low ranking politicians which will likely talk about the necessity to protect workers from 'unscrupulous and expoitatative employers'. It'll be especially interesting to hear the 'unofficial' and 'off record' responses to this SIPTU threat.

Last edited by CaptKremin; 4th Oct 2008 at 22:09.