PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Growing Evidence That The Upturn Is Upon Us
Old 4th Oct 2008, 18:15
spinnaker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ChrisLKKB

I hope I've played this one correct. I have access to a ready supply of last years hops of the correct quality. There should be enough to last me beyond next years harvest. Even if the price increases, which is a certainty, the proportion used should not be too dramatic on the overall cost of a pint. Grain on the other hand is a different story. Not all the numbers are in yet, but its not looking good for both yields and quality, so I've hedged my wheat and barley for the next two years. Barley is the most expensive component of beer. So what I propose to do is subtract what I need for the ale, and the surplus grain goes one of two ways. If the price falls bellow my benchmark, the grain is processed to enhance the value and sold on. If the price falls bellow 10% off the benchmark, I increase the head of sheep and feed it to them in winter then sell as soon as the meat market is correct, that way I preserve the value. Its known as a 'Flying Flock'. If the price increases, much more likely, I can then sell the grain on, as is, and not buy sheep. With the vacant grazing, I can now trade that for more grain above that already hedged.

So fellow ppruners, you beer is safe with me.