PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Singaporean self-sponsored CPL holders - where are you?
Old 4th Oct 2008, 09:51
singapore_flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In saying 'same authority' I mean the individual country's aviation authority eg. CAAS CASA FAA JAA. So if you have an australian CASA PPL you would probably be exampted when you sign up for a CASA CPL course. You would need to sit for some papers and a checkride if you sign up for a malaysian CPL instead.

CPL is not PPL+250TT. You must learn a whole bunch of flying skills and theory paper to sit for the CPL checkride when you have clocked 250hrs. FYI PPL minimum is 35hrs with at least 10hrs solo if I don't remember wrongly. So of course you must go to a school and train with an instructor who will sign you off for the checkride. As a PPL holder w/o CFI rating you can't teach yourself how to fly. Most CPL by default includes ME and almost everyone does IR at the same time. Fresh pilots have a slim to zero chance of employment at jet airlines. I don't know what the situation is like in Malaysia so I won't anyhow say. You can try to get an employment pass while training down under, otherwise the future is quite bleak for Singaporean low hour CPLs. C152/172s PA28 are not even constant speed. They are piston, not turboprop, a SAAB 340 is an example of turboprop - jet engines spinning a propeller. Jet time simply means jet aircraft time i.e CRJ/737NG/A320 etc. The catch is, turboprops and above are operated by commuter/regional airlines and above which have minimums at ~500hrs and above. No point blaming the government as changes if any won't happen in our time frame. By 'aviation hub' I think they mean 'aircraft maintanance/air freight/passenger transit hub'. No point telling us how much you love flying as we don't decide if you're hired. So think hard about how you are going to get your first airline job(which is what I'm doing!) and hope you get lucky