PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Recession impact on UK airports
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2008, 21:01
Buster the Bear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grrr

I would add to this thread that those airports that are paying their incumbent airlines to fly from them with 'rich' incentives are going to be massacred if those airline fail or leave. Eu Jet, remember them? Plane Station, remember them?

Nice to see Luton at Number 5. Should have been there years ago, but the BAA was allowed to use profits from Heathrow to expand an Essex airport then offer ridiculous subsidies to airlines. Now the incentives are over, Luton wins and Stansted loses.

Over the next 5-10 years, Stansted will win back operators if it is sold off and more incentives are then on the table to justify runway 2.

Sadly with a local council running Luton indirectly, future growth should there be a sell off at Stansted, will remain in Essex.

Regional airports will survive if the need to trade and relax continues.

As I have said many a time, credit card balances and the buy now - pay on the 'never never' threaten the most robust airport and airline.

The ' sling it on the mortgage culture ' is now over, folk have to pay off their debts in an economy of financial uncertainly and heavily rising basics like food and fuel.

Customer service will have to return to our industry once more to entice travellers.

I was told today that a large percentage of adults, for whatever reason, owe more than a years wages in unsecured debt. How the heck are they ever going to pay it off? These are the folk that fly regularly!

Next year will be nasty, I predict a third quarter from hell. hopefully Buster is proved incorrect, but..........?