PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 15 year allowed to fly, Turkish pilot fired
Old 3rd Oct 2008, 11:55
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exsp33db1rd

>>I accept the policy of the auto-pilot routeing only being able to be changed by someone with the right PiN - but I thought we were pilots, not computer programmers ? The mind boggles at the thought of errors such as I daily experience on my computer, and it would breed a whole new concept of hijackers, not only would they have to gain access to the flight deck, they would have to be computer 'hackers' too. Don't believe it couldn't happen.

Glad I only have a microlight to worry about, and NO airport security goons to pass. That's a real bonus !<<

Just after 9/11 I was flying then as a first officer on a citation 560 out of London. The Government in their wisdom placed a 20 mile restriction zone around the city. as we routed up alongside that restriction zone passing 20,000 feet in the climb we calculated that it would take us 2.5 minutes in a dive to hit parliament had we been so inclined! ie before anyone could blink an eye. Totally an impracticle move By the government for public digestion only.

When pilots here talk of the restrictions and presumed safety with the no access policy today i will paste my comments from above

>You either isolate the crew completely ie NO toilet access, No cabin crew access, No coaxing out of the cockpit with aircraft problems or passenger problems or the whole existing system is a public relations exercise with little practical anti terrorism purpose<

Any potential terrorist could gain access Today so I have to presume that this present system is itself more about public digestion of safety rather than any reality.

Good for you with the Microlight I still get a buzz with Biz jet ferries but can still see the appeal of what you fly today.

Pace