PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 15 year allowed to fly, Turkish pilot fired
Old 3rd Oct 2008, 08:00
ExSp33db1rd

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Do any of you pilots actually enjoy your job anymore?
Interesting question.

When I started with the airlines, my 'old' Captains reckoned that they had had the best time in aviation, Lancasters over the Target, then the big pistons, Connies, Strats etc and finally the jet age with the 707 - which had to be flown, and kicked into submission lest it turn around and bit you.

I reckon I had the best - no chance of being shot at, big pistons, and finally the original 747 which was only very basically automatic. I wouldn't know where to start with an FMS, FADEC etc. etc. on the present big jets.

I guess it's a generation thing. I would be very surprised if the present crews don't enjoy what they are doing.

Right now I have the best of all - a single seat microlight with an open cockpit, no ATC ( no tower on the airfield ) no flight planning, no security problems, no weather problems ( if it rains or blows I don't fly ) on a nice sunny evening I just drive on to the airfield, open the hangar, push out the aircraft - and go fly over the Beautiful Bay of Islands in the North of New Zealand. Eat your heart out !!!