PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Forced unpaid leave at ryanair
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2008, 14:48
Rhodes13

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Times and circumstances can change.

You are not immune. Be warned. It could get ugly. And as the list of business failures shows, the BIG BOYS can fail too.

Stansdead you hit the nail somewhat on the head. What you should have said is that ALL airline travel is discretionary probably more so if its long haul. If people start loosing their jobs in large numbers I would be worried about the mass lay offs that follow.

You could argue the semantics but safe to say in the current environment no one is safe. The legacies that people keep saying are the safe houses are struggling with decling yields especially up the front. With the current climate jo bloggs doesn't want to go to anywhere at the moment as he's worried about the bills coming in.

Is what RYR doing fair no, is it better than a p45 hell yes. I like it how you say we should take a stand. Would this be the same stand the virgin boys and girls took when they got laid off back in the dark days of 2001? What exactly is a standoff going to achieve, remember management hold the cards right now there isn't exactly a booming market.

MOL is a business man pure and simple. He does what is necessary to achieve a profit for his share holders. The days of looking after employees are long long gone unless you work in government. Be under no doubts I hate the current situation but Im a realist. I took a job in a highly risky environment and I have to be prepared to take the good with the bad.

I find it funny how easy jet is also offering unpaid leave as well as BA but the fact that RYR is doing so generates 11 pages of some of the most venomous stuff there is accusing RYR pilots of bringing the whole profession into disrepute, and for some a certain sense of gloating I told you so. Whatever happened to respecting a fellow professional. We aren't all like MOL you know and I just go to work to pay the bills.

Last edited by Rhodes13; 2nd Oct 2008 at 15:00.