PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Netjets Pilots out in the cold
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2008, 10:48
Flintstone

BRJC.

Virgin Blue at Brisbane and the situation here are completely different. I'm guessing you don't know how Netjets use Heathrow.

Firstly Netjets do not have a 'base' in the traditional sense. Crew travel to meet the aircraft at the beginning of each tour so often need to park up then catch an airline. Very, very occasionally they might fly their own aircraft out of Heathrow but not enough to call that airport their base. In six years with them I only once began a tour as crew from there.

Neither BAA nor Netjets will 'give' anything to these crew, not even parking and that's throughout Europe not just London. Also the layout at Heathrow makes parking and getting to a terminal a bit of a pain. They also need to co-ordinate with external crew transport companies where to be picked up so until some agreement is reached you'll have crew parking at any one of half a dozen different places within a ten mile radius. If you have three crew and they all use different parking companies........you can see the problem.

Public transport often won't work because nine times out of ten they'll be on one of the first airline flights of the day. Some crew live up to 100 miles from Heathrow and public transport, particularly if they live on the 'other' side of London which is a big place, not some two-dog town like Brisbane , just isn't viable.

I'm sure the Netjets boys and girls appreciate your simple solution but it just wouldn't work here.