PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Singaporean self-sponsored CPL holders - where are you?
Old 30th Sep 2008, 14:39
singapore_flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PW4000, sorry for being blunt, but isn't D7 considered a fail?
But How do I get the CPL/IR & ME after obtaining my PPL? Do I need to join the flight school which requires me to stay in for the course full-time? If it does, the school train its student starts from basic(PPL) again. Then, won't it be stupid of me to spend $$ twice on PPL. Does anyone know of any school that offers CPL/IR courses after PPL? It seems like most of the schools' CPL courses consist of a PPL.
It would be stupid of you to spend $$ twice on PPL because almost all flight schools that offer CPL will accept your PPL(if from same authority) or at most require minimal conversion. Modular just means you don't go from zero to hero in 1 shot. Many people work as flight instructors after CPL while studying for their IR/ATP. You sound like you want to learn flying on a part time basis, like learning driving on weekends, it doesn't work that way. I would consider the PPL ground school exams as challenging as maybe an O level subject, and that's just 5 papers. I remember the CAAS ATP consisting of ~21 papers.

There are some things you should consider before starting your training, you need to fly a minimum of X hours a year to keep your licence current. For example, if you don't at least fly 5 hours a year, your certificate of experience for your PPL will expire, so you'll need to take another checkride. Likewise for CPL. ATP papers are valid for 5yrs generally, meaning you need to hit your 1500th hour by the 5th yr or you'll have to take the papers again and they are not as easy as your BTT. So be sure that you want to change career and tahan its risks before setting out.

Well all in all you should take 3mths off and get the PPL if you're interested to have a taste of what its like.

Last edited by singapore_flyer; 1st Oct 2008 at 04:29.