PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - most common failures on A320 family
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2008, 13:44
JenCluse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh dear

Left Wing, you worry me. Deeply.

To so utterly believe that who ever is currently running your training is without fault, and has foreseen all eventualities, is a massive sucker trap.

OK. I'm retired, and shouldn't really comment, but what you said is to me so fundamentally wrong a way to approach your (command?) responsibilities as to cause me to feel much happier about driving from points A to B these days out of preference to flying commercially.

I could fill three blog sites refuting your approach, and then just hope something might be learned (by you.)

I will swear that every moment of my time in the air was spend in a what-if analysis.

As a result I have caused sections of my then Airline's manuals to be re-written regarding electrical failure drills (they were wrong); to have (helped) have sections of Australia's accelerate/stop engine out performance parameters re-written so that in wet conditions on T/O in an Ozzie registered aircraft you are in the most safely loaded machine (which may be just) in the skies; to have Boeing review, and eventually rewrite their mad crazy 'standard approach procedures' (then max flap at the outer marker); to have the Boeing production line thrown into turmoil when I discovered that (by trialling) 9 out of 12 recently delivered 737s standby elect pwr was miss-wired & U/S: too many others to list now: and my proudest moment, a toe to toe screaming match in the 727 simulator with God (a.k.a. chief pilot) who echoed Boeing's line that you will only ever have a single engine failure in a multi-engined aircraft. I demanded the right to try to fly a multiple failure, and proved it could be done (at least in the sim.)

Boeing's standard ops now actually discuss total engine failure ! ! !

It took years to crack that nut.

Believe me, the diminishment of the analytical approach by so very many command pilots that I talk to these days sends a chill up my spine.

It was this that the pilot's dispute in Oz in 1989 was about, not money. We lost that fight, and it seems a huge swag of the aviation command structure has been lost as well, as a flow on.

Do NOT accept what is written. Fly it by all means. Follow standard ops, as you must, but in those quiet moments for God's sake,

think.