PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Command Decisions-what would you do?
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2008, 06:45
fourgolds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats on the upcoming command.Here's my two cents worth.

Sometimes one gets a failure after take off ( any systems malfunction) thats not "too" serious. Example s single hydraulic system failure or a flap or a gear problem.You would be surprised how many elect to enter a holding pettern (close to departure airport) whilst solving the problem , talking to company etc etc.
Given the minimum amounts of fuel we carry this could really snooker you if you were to say "solve" the problem , as you may effectively have thrown away your destination.

What I propose is to ( terrrain permitting) continue on route( off course assuming its not time critical problem) , working checklists , liasing with company bla bla. If it then is resolved , on you go all the way to destination. If it then requires a return then ,now is when you divert.

Another obvious one ( or so I thought) that I have seen in the simulator is configuration. When you have abnormals , this is not the time to plug a hole in one and achieve the stabilisation criteria exactly at the gate.
Slow it down and drag it in ( again it depends on certian checklist requirements) , but in general , drag the bastard in , so you get that out of the way and you have one less thing to worry about.

Know when to throw away the rules. I have seen candidates in the simulator with an unextinguishable engine fire after take off (followed by a visual circuit to land )really get it wrong by trying to follow the rules. , eg they overshoot centreline turning final or find themselves a little high on final. So they try "correct" it whilst comlplying with max allowable sink rates and bank angles , only to be way high at short final or badly positioned to land. I reckon throw the BS out the window ( if its burning) , crank it over , push it down ( I dont care if its shouting at me) and do what is required to "Fix" it as much as possible.
so you have broken every rule to arrive in the slot at 500 feet or later. But in a position after a crap approach to make a safe landing. ( this is never trained).

Another not so abvious one is to learn a couple of " canned" PA announcements. The last thing you want is to mumble on to your pax about all the technical details bla bla BS. Just have your " abnormal" PA in your mind and blast it off almost automatically.

on the ground with doors open , delegate , delegate , delegate. let the groundstaff handle the ground stuff.

Ultimately though on the day you are dammed if you do dammed if you dont. Thats the burden of command.

Best of luck.