PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Be realistic, my friends...
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2008, 19:53
Superdan1971

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Academia

I wanted to be a pilot, but the Gulf war, and the subsequent airline crisis force me to switch career. I became a university professor. When I am not writing/teaching/attending conferences, I read this website.
When I was I my early 20s, I did not have the money, and my parents were not supportive of a career as an airline pilot. People who say that you should not be a pilot are either jealous, or try to deter you because they see you as a competitor on the job market.
It does not take 10 years to be a pilot. I have seen some being successful in 3 years.
Regarding your comments on how low salaries are in the aviation sector; as a research assistant, I was only making $1,200. At the age of 29, I was earning $3,500.
In recent years, my career became more rewarding. I enjoyed writing, being published, teaching, travelling on conferences all over the world, and my salary got higher. But after 12 years, I have experienced a mid-career fatigue, and I often wonder if I would be happier flying planes.
On my right on my desk, I have a yoke/pedals/projector and flight simulator that screens a cockpit on the wall of my flat
It is not easy to study aviation in addition to a day job. I spend my week in books. I dread spending the entire weekend studying hydraulics and avionics. My brain need to rest too.
You cannot wait to leave the cockpit to study the Incas. I cannot wait to retire to learn how to fly.

Last edited by Superdan1971; 25th Sep 2008 at 19:55. Reason: Font appear