PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Smoking up front
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2008, 01:17
Reluctant737

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smoking up front

Hi people,

Very simply, we all know it's against the law to smoke on the flight deck, but honestly, how many of you break this particular rule every now and again? I must be honest - one of our longest routes is EMA - TFS and on more than one occasion I've been given the opportunity to light up if I've so desired. After politely declining, said skipper(s) will then spark up themselves. As a smoker myself, I have no moral objection to my colleague smoking in the cockpit - if anything, I'd argue that if he (like myself) is addicted to the drug then it may in fact be safer for him to do so than not on a run of 3-4 hours or so, meaning 8-9 on the aircraft. In saying that, I appreciate that it is not fair on the following (non-smoking?) crew members to have to breathe in whatever remains of our habit, but I've noticed the conscious effort made to get the business done on the outbound leg to give lots of time for all to disperse.
I'm relatively new to the airline, so I shall not be joining in any time soon, but I'm curious as to what others' opinions are.
Smokers and non-smokers' views greatly appreciated.

A.