PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Frustrated (?) pilots and security screening
Old 24th Sep 2008, 12:57
Blacksheep
Cunning Artificer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been going through airport security every day near enough for the last two years, and can honestly say i've never found anything so unreasonable that it would constitute a risk to flight safety.
Nor me, but most of it is still pretty pointless.

What does infuriate me is the mindless bureaucracy behind the whole thing. I worked airside continuously from 1966 to July this year, including working with armed nuclear bombers, and have held airside security badges issued by the authorities at airports in Brunei, Malaysia, Nepal, Vietnam, Hong Kong and Belgium. Upon return to UK I cannot obtain airside security clearance for any British airport because I am a British Citizen who cannot satisfy the Disclosure Scotland rules - I haven't resided anywhere in the UK for at least five years, so they can't do a criminal records check on me. Were it necessary for me to hold airside clearance for my job I simply could not be hired.

On the other hand, were I to be from, say, Somalia, Yemen or perhaps Afghanistan, there would be no problem. Non-Brits without the necessary residential qualifications don't have to have to undergo the Disclosure Scotland process.

So what's the bloody point of it all then?

...and incidentally, how many terrorists have (prior) criminal records?