PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unions to kick down door at FR
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2008, 21:25
CaptKremin

CaptK,

here is a legal professionals opinion, prior to the determination of the "Ryanair case", from a well respected legal firm.

Trade union recognition - mandatory? - William Fry, Solicitors, Ireland's Leading Business Law Firm

JAS
Interesting article JAS, as far as it goes. But all it does is relate the history of how we got to where we are. The new legislation will write another paragraph on that article. The history of how the previous legislation was modified to actually work.

As for a Constitutional challenge - it may be a possibility. Who knows what mad Mick would try. I'd call that grasping at straws.
There is a new mood abroad in the land. Lots of people are going to lose their jobs and livelihoods in the next 2 years. I think its sinking in that the rampant capitalism championed by O'Leary and the PD's has brought us to these dire straits.
If its constitutionality was ever tested, I have the feeling the action would be kicked out of court, just like the PD's have been kicked out of office, and out of existence.

And no Kremin, I'm not anti-union, I simply have a real problem in this case with SIPTU/IALPA who are being irresponsible by insisting on something that can't be done which would have a knock-on effect on workers and jobs in other areas of the economy here - not that SIPTU give a monkey's about the other workers under pressure in HP/Dell/INTEL etc as they ain't in a union.
As to the HP/Dell/INTEL workers who aren't in a union - the question is WHY NOT? You have me confused - on the one hand you condemn the unions for 'doing nothing' for non-union workers, while at the same time you seem to be opposing the introduction of legislation that would allow their unionisation.
I'm pretty sure the reason Intel workers are not unionised is THATS THEIR OWN CHOICE. Intel have traditionally been one of the best employers in the state, and I'm quite sure Dell and HP have been equally good to work for. If those workers are happy - let them stay out of unions.

I said it before, no union is FORCING membership on anyone. This is about the RIGHT to form a union and have it RECOGNISED by your employer.

attempting to force the government allow union recognition would lead to a loss of jobs and job development in other multinational industries in Ireland
I challenge you to provide a single shred of evidence to substantiate that claim.

not that Kremin obviously gives a sh*te
On the contrary, it is patently you who doesn't 'give a sh*te' about the employees of those companies.
If they feel they need a union, why do you wish to stop them?
'For their own good' you seem to say! How arrogant!

Are you going to stand as judge and jury over others as to 'whats good for them'? It's a blatant 'I'm alright Jack' attitude.
You seek to deny others the job satisfaction you seem to have!
Get off your high horse.

Last edited by CaptKremin; 23rd Sep 2008 at 21:49.