PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cessna 162 Skycatcher Crashes
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2008, 03:51
the wizard of auz
Bugsmasherdriverandjediknite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe it was a "Not so hard deck" or a "Mushy deck"
I remember two incidents I have had with spinning aircraft that had me with very big eyes.
I was aerobatting (well, as far as you can) a 152 Scareobat once and was in the process of recovering from a spin. It wouldn't stop rotating regardless of how much rudder I applied, and it seemed I didn't have full travel of the rudder in one direction (the direction I required). I ended up breaking the stall and spiraling out.
When I landed (after changing my undies) I had a poke about down the tail end to see if I could find anything obviously amiss. I found a Biro poking out of the tail cone, aligning itself with the side of the rudder and basically making an effective stopper. I stomped on that rudder peddle pretty hard and managed to dent the rudder, but it wasn't enough to get it into a position to stop the rotation.
Second incident was a Robin R2160. Fuel tank behind where you sit. flicked and flopped around fine until it was time to return. Using a pretty aggressive stall spin to loose height, it wound up a bit faster and a little higher in the nose than I was used to seeing. when I tried to recover, I stopped it rotating, but it took several more turns than normal, but stayed stalled. very flat and scary when I had full down elevator in. after a bit of rocking back and forth with the elevator, it eventually went nose down so hard I whacked my bean on the canopy. scared the ****e out of me and the pax.
Turns out there was a bit more fuel in the tank than was recommended for spinning. fuel moves to the back of the tank while rotating and moved the already marginal CoG to the rear...... and scaring the crap outta the pilot.
I learned all about reading the POH from that.