PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas to Decline as Jetstar Soars
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2008, 00:31
GUARD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its all about choice for passengers and for us pilot types its all about allegiance to our current employer and route network because none of us want to only fly to a couple of boring destinations and have s&%t slips or earn any less than we do at the moment.

Thats certainly how it is for me anyway.

I really believe there is enough flying out there for all of us and its important that pax have a choice. Its been the same deal on ships and trains forever that some people want the lowest fare possible( because thats all they can afford ) whereas others want a bit of luxury and to be treated like royalty ( because they can afford it ) and then you've got people in between who think economy on a premium airline is a good compromise between the two.

Our respective employers know this. Where the waters get muddied is when the hierarchy threaten the pilots with swapping routes because one group will do it cheaper. This is just industrial bulls&%t because its the paying public who will ultimately decide how they want to be transported. Like the Japanese and also a lot of Australians. F/J class is pretty full on the majority of sectors currently operated and there is a lot of buzz out in the market for Jetstar by people who want a cheap holiday ( versus no holiday at all ) to one of these traditional holiday destinations. If an airline doesn't have the vehicle ( Jetstar ) to meet that need then they miss out on the business. So in my view it makes good sense to have that option within your business.

I also believe that CEO's are more aligned to their current role than screwing us over. Joyce now has a resposibility to the Qantas group ( which includes Jetstar ) and to provide a service that the fare paying public want. Jetstar was his baby because he was given that role. I reckon Qantas will become his baby now because thats who pays his food bill.

Its been said so many times before on this post that Qantas will send the aeroplanes where they're needed and that has f*#k all to do with who is flying them.

I work for Qantas and I want things to stay that way. I have my own reasons for this desire and so do pax.

You might have noticed that the A380 is in Qantas colours and has a substantial first/business and premium economy section. Thats what the market demanded. It was not based on pilots wages.

Why don't we all just enjoy our flying and give each other a bit of a break.

GUARD