PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RVSM Africa
Thread: RVSM Africa
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2008, 12:54
abc.fp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LT

I agree that it might seem a little premature to implement RVSM, but the problem is that it has been postponed for years already. All the states had more than enough time and access to recourses and expertise to comply by the said date. No more excuses!

And yes, I believe that there will be some states that wont be entirely ready, as well as some airlines. But they will be the ones embarrased. Time has run out, we cant keep on postponing...

Regarding the procedures, in order to acquire RVSM approval flight crew should undergo RVSM training. This should adress all the issues regarding procedures. Else the regional monitoring agency (ARMA) can surely help out with the necessary info? They can be reached at ATNS (Johannesburg, South Africa). They are really doing a great job, and are very very helpfull.

If I could give some advise to fellow aviators. One of the biggest teething problems I see coming is on who will be allowed into RVSM airspace and who wont. The way it works is that a state must grant RVSM approval to its local aircraft when they apply for such and meet the minimum requirements. This information "shall" then be passed on to ARMA (South Africa) who have an updated list of all approved aircraft in the region.

But what has come to my attention during the past few days is that this info is not in all cased passed on to ARMA, and therefor it might happen that you are considered non-RVSM when flying to neigboring FIR's, even though your paperwork is actually in order. I know that Angola and Namibia for instance have not one aircraft registered with ARMA. It would be silly if an A340 gets stuck at FL280 all the way to Europe, due to the DCA not doing their job.

So to avoid being stuck below FL290 on thursday, maybe just get your OPS office to double check with ARMA on your RVSM status!

Regards