PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Singaporean self-sponsored CPL holders - where are you?
Old 22nd Sep 2008, 05:28
AiRBuS_380

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi guys,

After reading through all the threats and postings, I would like to advise those who wants to be a pilot to consider a few issues prior to making the steps. I am frm Massey a long time ago...

1. do you really want to fly? flying is expensive just by taking a fATPL. SFC charges about 150k, STATA is about 120K, MFA is about 90K. I mean if you or your parents can afford this amount of money, then do it ... I have a frd whom was dropped out of MFA due to financial issues and in the end it was a hell of a time repaying those money he loan from the bank. (6% interest)

2. Yes SFC and all fly schools in SG or MAS will take in people whom are 26 or below. But there will be a selection for SFC which consist of interviews and testings (similar to cadet programme). SFC private cadets are screened and the chances of getting a placing with them is quite low. They only take in abou 10 to 15 or less annually. You can pay doesnt meant that they would want you.

3. For those hoping to take a full degree with fATPL, Massey is the only university reconisged for CAAS fATPL conversion. Thus this flying hours exemption from SQ is directed to the regulations of CAAS. This will allow people will go into the learjet pharse directly. Embry riddle is one of the top schools for aviation in the world. but the only fallback is that they provide a FAA ATP which is harder to find a piloting job with only 200hrs. FAA ATP licenses are 'better' only in states. in most countries, ICAO fATPL or the JAA fATPL are more recongised and it will be easier for an entry level job, especially if you want to enter directly into a airline. on the other hand, the cost of such programmes are high, for about 150k for Massey, 200k for Embry etc. thus financial sounding must be avaliable... all the figures will only increase as retest or more flight hours will be charged if necessary

4. Apply as many flying schools and degree programmes and undergo its selection process to learn or get use to pilot selection. Take a tour on thier school and choose the correct 1 for you.

5. i would suggest that go take a PPL in malaysia before doing anything. Go taste flying and see if thats your cup of tea. This will allow you to really find out if you have the passion to fly.

just my thoughts,

cheers,
great way to fly!