PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A suggestion for the private pilot forum:
Old 22nd Sep 2008, 01:47
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
As well meant as Chuck may have been, it would be a sad and dangerous day if the Mod's ever restricted opinion to those whose higher flying qualifications make their opinions seem more worthy than those who are just basically qualified but fly as many hours if not more.
Perhaps what Chuck has suggested was misunderstood. Taking the liberty to expand on the idea Chuck presented, there have been occasions where posters asking questions could have reason to be unsure of the background of a person who is offering a specific answer, and thus the real value of the answer they sought in the first place. If the information of at least certain posters, who contribucted regularly, were presented or available in advance, the person asking the question might choose to direct it, or at least consider an answer in a specific light, based on the origin of the answer. I'm confident that there was no suggestion of limiting the opportunity of anyone to respond at any point.

There are many magazines in which opportunities are presented for readers to ask the staff of the magazine questions on specific subjects. I see this as being a very similar situation, other than the vastly improved situation of likely getting many answers, instead of just one, and not having to wait a whole month! Add to that the opportunity to re-ask and clarify if need be!

None of what has been proposed would in any way limit the function or utility of the forum as is is now, it would just be an additional feature, which could serve to attract and reassure those who value the information content of an answer (as opposed to offhanded remarks of a more humorous nature - though we can have those too!), and would like to know a bit more about the answerer.

In the context of absolutely no loss of forum utility, and a means to offer better information in the way it has been sought by some posters, I whole heartedly stand behind Chuck's suggestion.

More open minds for the greater good, with respect to this worthwhile suggestion....?

Pilot DAR